One of the top direct mail mistakes is failing to make a specific offer or confusing recipients with too many offers in one mailer. Very few, if any, will take the time to sort out what you want them to do . . . and your mail piece will quickly find its way into the recycle bin.
No doubt, your offer has a tough assignment: be compelling enough to motivate recipients to take action. If you have a great offer that has perceived value, is easy to explain and quickly understood, you’re ready to rock. It’s worth noting the time spent crafting your offer pays off, as 79% of consumers saying they act on brands’ direct mailings immediately.
Next up: get some visibility. Here are some of the top spots where readers are most likely to see your offer, take action and boost direct mail response rates – opening the door to greater engagement and sales:
- What you see first. For letter packages, use the outer envelope. A strong offer can be made in just a few words on a #10 business size envelope, for example. The mailing panel on a self-mailer also offers great space, however be careful not to interfere with the addressing.
- Get inside. With a letter, make it your opening pitch. In other formats, use your headlines and subheads wisely.
- At the close. Once you’ve clearly set the need, close with a repeat of your offer.
- In your P.S. This is valuable real estate for those who skim and skip to the bottom of the page.
- Lift note or insert. Typically, this is a small flyer inserted with the letter that can further engage the reader and simplify your offer in one clear statement.
Let’s talk about other ways to boost direct mail response rates to help you meet your marketing communications goals. Contact Allegra today!